Phelsuma ornata

          The first thing which stroke me, when I left Mauritius after almost 2 years living there, was the great amount of pieces of art representing wildlife. Wildlife takes up lots of time in my life and living in the world we live in, I never realized people enjoyed it as much as I do. The only difference was that they didn't know it. I started wondering if the conservation of ecosystems, species could get taught to the public by using art, especially when it comes to children. It is always more efficient to have them 'hands on' when teaching them. 

          There is one activity I loved as a child: creating objects with papier-maché. It was the right time to get back to it. My first piece was a green gecko (Phelsuma ornata) I could enjoy the presence on a daily basis in Mauritius. 



           This sculpture is now often commented by people visiting me, allowing me to start on some of my gecko stories and to introduce my job as a conservation biologist. 


Green gecko on its Latania fruit (E.Chavel, 2010)


Green gecko on its Latania fruit (E.Chavel, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment